birding-aus

Re: Sooty Owl on Mt Glorious

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re: Sooty Owl on Mt Glorious
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:55:20 -0700 (PDT)
Yes Margaret I was on Browns Rd.  I haven't used call back previously but
thought I would give it a shot and so I borrowed some CD's from a mate of mine
for the weekend.  It only took two repeats of the recording with lights out too
have a Sooty Owl sitting in the tree directly above me at the end of the Maiala
track returning the call, no more than 3-5m away.  Its scream was pretty
impressive and very eerie in total darkness!

I switched the tape off immediately and put my torch on as he flew to a nearby
branch 10m away and proceeded to screech at me repeatedly for about 5-10
minutes.

Similar to you I saw the Marbled Frogmouth (and Papuan Frogmouth) up at
Lakefield NP in FNQ many years ago but have never really bothered to search out
the southern sub-species in my own backyard.   I managed to sight the Marbled
Frogmouth using only my torch a little further down Browns Rd from where it
crosses the Maiala track.

The differences I noticed compared with the Tawny Frogmouths I typically see
were that the Marbled appears paler and more uniform in colour; the eye colour
was more orange than yellow; the plumes over the bill more prominant and it
appeared more heavy set.

I too have been told that you can see the Marbled Frogmouths in the Palm Grove
but had no luck down there last night.

Cheers,

Carl

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in
Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-babp_reg.html