birding-aus

Musk Lorikeets in SW NSW

Subject: Musk Lorikeets in SW NSW
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:12:17 +1000
There have been lorikeets in Mildura (NW Victoria) recently and I have been
on the lookout for Purple-crowned amongst them. However recently I came
across about 30 feeding in planted Spotted Gums in town (Bob Cook has asked
me to have another look as he has heard there were up to 200 at the same
location - will hopefully get there again on the weekend). Looking at
HANZAB, Musks have been recorded in Mildura before (rarely), but the numbers
seem to be larger than usual.
Over the last couple of days I have visited a couple of councils in SW NSW
and Musks have proved to be widespread at the moment. At least 40 were
present in Barham (feeding in Spotted Gums at the Barham Lakes) and most
surprisingly 8 were in a WA Eucalypt of some kind in Balranald. This a fair
way up the Murrumbidgee from the Murray Junction and I would have thought a
new location (though hopefully Alan Morris will update in past records that
I haven't seen). Interestingly all the birds are feeding on planted trees
showing that potentially there is a lack of natural food available causing
wandering.
Heard unidentified lorikeets during a brief stop in Robinvale (NW Vic) so
potentially more Musks there. Has anyone noticed if they have disappeared
from their area recently?
Cheers,
Peter

Advertisement: Missy Higgins new album On A Clear Night ? stream full tracks
now!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=781&referral=hotmailtaglineMay&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/playlist.aspx?sectionid=2465&sectionname=artistfeature&subsectionid=9150&subsectionname=missyhiggins&categoryid=2577