birding-aus

Musk Lorikeets in SW NSW

To: "'Peter Ewin'" <>, <>
Subject: Musk Lorikeets in SW NSW
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:29:29 +1000
I observed about 50+ Musk Lorikeets feeding on ironbark blossom in the
area surrounding the Barham Lakes during September 2002 and during the
same time observed a small group feeding in WA Eucalypts at Balranald.

2002 was an interesting year. If you include Deniliquin in the SW of NSW
Musk Lorikeets have been observed about town between June-August 2002
(in particular I observed a group of around 40 in the State Forest in
town) and a number of times since, including December 2005. Little
Lorikeets were also observed in Deni during June-August 2002 and at
least one Purple-crowned Lorikeet earlier in the year during March. Musk
Lorikeets are often seen about Deniliquin during December and hang about
for about two weeks.

2002 was also the year when Swift Parrots were observed around Berrigan
and also at Deniliquin.

Chris Coleborn may have more to add about Musk Lorikeets from the Barham
area, though he is enjoying the Mallee at the present.

Cheers
David Parker
Griffith, NSW