birding-aus

Fwd: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again (Peter Shute)

Subject: Fwd: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again (Peter Shute)
From: "Natalia Atkins" <>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:34:38 +1000
Hi Peter,

LOL. `Alan' is not my neighbour. It would be a dream to live near someone so
reasonable actually:). Anyway I do find it heartening to see some caged bird
owners  taking responsibility for protecting their pets from native
wild-life. I could only wish we had the same options for protecting free
birds (not just the locals; I'm also thinking of,say, the bird shootings in
Malta that I've read about here over the last day or so).

Over the course of the week I've been very upset by the death of the
butcherbirds, especially by the loss of this last juvenile who really stole
my heart in major way. But I've told myself that at least he lived and died
free, and enjoyed a full social life with his family as well as his extended
human family. I can't say the same for the poor little guy (the budgie) next
door,  stuck in a little cage all alone, not even protected from the sun let
alone any of the wildlife around here.  It won't last long, and its because
of the owner's negligence and bad attitude.

We offered to totally pay for and build a more protective cage for it. The
neighbour was not interested in the offer. Anyway, I'm putting him the `
psycho' category based on the terrorist-style manner he's handled the
situation and his cruelty towards birds, including his own. Sucks to be his
pet, but what can you do?

Cheers

Message: 4