birding-aus

Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again

To: "Grant Brosie" <>, "birding australia" <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:25:37 +1000
 wrote on Tuesday, 15 May 2007 7:11 PM:

> I've bred finches for 10 years now and butcherbirds
> are my biggest headache.

I just thought to Google this.

In this one:
http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/lofiversion/index.php/t12304.html
some budgie breeders discuss using a double layer of wire, and several
mention birds they've lost through the wire.

In this one:
http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/lofiversion/index.php/t9309.html
double wire is discussed again, and also a very similar situation where
someone's feeding them:
"Thanks for the tips everyone. Double wire looks like the only answer. I
have been been wondering why all of a sudden there are so many hanging
about and this afternoon I noticed the chap who lives behind my home was
throwing bits of meat in the air and he had six butcher birds flying all
over the place and catching the pieces in mid air. He was very amused
with himself but I am not too happy about it. Don't want to start a
neighbourhood feud, maybe he will get sick of it in a few days."

Natalia, I don't suppose this guy's name is Alan!

One person suggested encouraging parrots and magpies to keep the
butcherbirds away.

Peter Shute