birding-aus

Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again

To: Peter Shute <>, birding australia <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:19:25 +1000 (EST)
Peter,

My old setup involved breeding cabinets inside a
garage and one aviary with double wire. The garage had
netting over the open door but butcherbirds are smart
and found ways around it, usually through the gap
between wall and roof. No birds were lost from the
aviary.

The new setup is covered in 6mm wire and much more
brush is provided for protection. I think the resident
Magpie Larks help also.

The best way to protect cage birds is to either double
wire or use 6mm wire (the preferred option for keeping
snakes and mice out).
Sheets of metal a metre high around the base of the
aviary also keeps snakes out.

Another predator to be aware of are rats. Cement floor
is recommended.

After learning the hard way my advice when building
predator proof aviaries would be.....if you can't
afford to do it properly ( eg proper wire and cement
floors) don't bother keeping birds. It's not fair on
the birds and not a good advertisement for the hobby.

Grant Brosie
Raworth

--- Peter Shute <> wrote:

>  wrote on Tuesday,
> 15 May 2007 7:11 PM:
>
> > I've bred finches for 10 years now and
> butcherbirds
> > are my biggest headache.
> > At my old setup I lost various birds to Grey
> > Butcherbirds with one occasion where the finch was
> > removed from the cage, on other occasions only the
> > head made it out.
>
> You mention your "old setup".  What's the new setup,
> and does it stop
> them?
>
> Peter Shute

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in
Australia?  Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-babp_reg.html