birding-aus

Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters of the World by Onley and Scofield

To: "'Murray Lord'" <>, <>
Subject: Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters of the World by Onley and Scofield
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:50:58 +1000
I found this review by Fatbirder
http://www.fatbirder.com/reviews/index.php?article=276
Cheers
Alastair

Albatrosses, Petrels & Shearwaters of the World by Derek Onley & Paul
Scofield Helm Field Guides 2007 ISBN 9780713643329

This book covers the 137 currently accepted species of the avian order
Procellariformes, found across the oceans of the world. They are usually
divided into four families; albatrosses, petrels and shearwaters, storm
petrels and diving petrels. Many are exclusively marine birds spending the
majority of their lives as sea and only coming to land in order to breed.

The publisher says that ".the guide offers concise information set opposite
Derek Onley's elegant illustrations, a format designed for easy
identification in the field; at sea, at close range and over distance - an
essential companion for those interested in pelagic seabirds."

Whilst I agree that the illustrations are elegant and the information full
and detailed and, so far as my limited knowledge allows an opinion,
accurate, I would challenge that this is the best format to use as a guide
in the field.

This format has been around a long time and, as a library reference is
excellent. However, its not the best format for field use. as, in the field,
one wants close proximity of confusion species; those whose ranges overlap
etc. rather than the correct taxonomic order which is followed in most
guides.

Not only would this be hard work to arrange it will, inevitably take up more
space as plates would need to be less crowded and the brief accounts facing
such pages should, at least, carry the distribution maps. No doubt the
format used saves paper and is one we are all used to but that doesn't make
it the best for ID. A good compromise would be to give each of the 137
species a page to itself with the species account facing it; this would
amount to 274 pages and adding in intros etc would mean the book would have
to be around 300 pages instead of the 240 in this volume and that would up
the price too. I doubt it would be too expensive or too heavy to take into
the field and would probably be easier to use to narrow down the possible
candidates if stumped.

Having said that this is a very fine piece of work and the high quality
paper and print add to its great feel. Moreover, it has one feature I have
rarely seen in other guides - the species accounts mention jizz - which is a
real bonus for species most often seen at long distance in windy weather
when colour, shape and size can all be obscured. Furthermore, plumage wear
and moult are mentioned too, a lesson other guides might want to follow. It
is good to see this guide covering all the world species and splitting up
the unwieldy and aging 'Seabirds' which was one of the very first in this
series.

Fatbirder