birding-aus

kunoth well and rigge from Mt gillen to honeymoon gap alice springs

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: kunoth well and rigge from Mt gillen to honeymoon gap alice springs
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:48:32 +0930
I went to Hamilton Downs road yesterday to try for the grey honeyeater adn
slaty backed thornbill.  Didn't get either but I did see two pairs approx 1 km
apart(I don't think same birds) of Bourke's parrots. The first bird I saw
blended so well with mulga I was very close before I saw it.  Not at all
worried aboutmy presence and I had to get close tomake it flush.  Tracked down
both pair by following up on high pitched whistle.  This was near eremophila
patch 5.5.kms down Hamilton Downs road.

The area between Kunoth WEll and the hamiton downs road obvioulsy flooded when
we had all that rain in January and when we arrive there at approx 3pm the
place was crawlign wiht birds: southern whiteface, singing and spiny cheeked
honeyeaters, red capped robins, lots of black faced woodswallows including
immatures, western warbler, yellow rumped thornbill(a surprise to me), willie
wagtail, rufous whistler.

When we came back approx 5.15 there was hardly a bird to be seen!.

bushwalkign club walked from Mt Gillen to honeymoon gap today nad twice on teh
way saw dusky grasswrens as well as sightings of variegated and splendid wren.
grey shrike thrush, pied butcher bird and wedgtaailed ealge were the only ohter
birds.  The first lof of dusky grasswrens were in very poor habitat(there have
been fire through the area approx five years ago)  - the babitat was very open
with extremely low and small spinifex-made the dusky grasswrens easy to see!

Gary