birding-aus

Mt Sonder-Rwetyepme, Jabiru, local names etc

To: <>
Subject: Mt Sonder-Rwetyepme, Jabiru, local names etc
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:42:53 +1000
Greetings,
The 'territory lifestyle" has been under threat for hundreds of years from incomers and changing cultural mores. It is indeed precious for the last influx but one to be defensive of what has probably been nothing more than fancy in the first place.

For myself, I like a mixture of names which show our history. If a place is of significance to the locals then I'm very happy to have it revert to its old name. I even like the use of Aboriginalised English words as place names as they say something about us. I also enjoy a arguement about place names as that not only informs us about our place but places us as individuals in the scheme of things.

To link it to a birding theme; I saw a male cicada bird and three species of Gerygone along Peterson Creek this morning. It used to be Petersen Creek after an early settler but what it was called before that I have no idea. There was also some tree-roo poo but could not see the animal.
Regards,
Alan