birding-aus

Mt Sonder-Rwetyepme, Jabiru, local names etc

Subject: Mt Sonder-Rwetyepme, Jabiru, local names etc
From: "Amanda Markham" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:54:10 +0930
I am, of course, reading all this and laughing my head off...

My husband and I constantly tease each other about his SA euphemisms (there is a very funny story attached to my discovery of what a Stobie Pole is but I won't tell it here~!). He teases me about my NSW-isms i.e. we have devon instead of fritz and we pronounce our 'oo' sounds very differently to South Australians. (He says we say 'pewl' for pool, but when he says pool, it sounds like 'paul' to me).

However, as Robert might attest, Territorians are precious about lots of things. Any slight on their freedoms such as reducing the speed limits, stopping smoking in cafes, and oh my goodness! changing the name of a town, amounts to do-gooders from the South infiltrating the NT and destroying 'the Territory Lifestyle'.

Anyway... yes, I will correct all my colleagues when they say 'Dusky Woodswallows...' and wear it on the chin whilst holding up Simpson & Day (I don't have the other text) and pointing to the appropriate page, saying, but it's really a Little Woodswallow.

cheers,

Amanda