birding-aus

RFI: Trip to NT

To: John & Ruth Walter <>, Birding Australia <>
Subject: RFI: Trip to NT
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:08:50 +0930
Zitting Çisticola is relatively easy around Darwin, for instance in short
grass near Richardson Park, Ludmilla.  Chestnut Rail is regular at Stuart
Park, just 3 km from Darwin CBD (along with Great-billed Heron).  There are
other good spots in the Palmerston mangroves as well as the Palmerston SP,
for other mangrove birds.

I've not seen Gouldian Finches regularly at Copperfield Dam (and I've spent
25 years working in the area both as a birding guide and biological
consultant)  But they do turn up there and at creeks throughout the area.

Generally the adults sit stock still in the low paperbarks (unlike the more
active Long-tailed and Masked - birds that Gouldians often associate with).
But juveniles are much more active, and thence easier to spot.

Fergusson River is often good for this bird - that's where I generally take
my clients (mostly American birders).  My approach with Gouldian and the
grasswren (as with other passerines) is to get into suitable habitat and
listen for the calls.

However, Gouldian Finch, Hooded Parrot and White-throated Grasswren are all
difficult to see during the wet.  That being said I've seen Gouldians behave
like tame willy wagtails, hopping all over the car, when I was working in
breeding habitat at this time of year.

At Nourlangie Rock, the gully next to the lowest and main art site is good
for Banded Fruit-dove.  Listen for the call, and look for fruiting trees -
Alaeocarpus arnhemicus (no common name I know of) has ovoid leaves with
crenated margins and round, purple fruits).  Rock Fig is another that these
birds feed on.  Both may be fruiting now.

One of the best places for sandstone birds is the Bardedjilidji Sandstone.
There one can sit on rocks and just wait for Sandstone Shrike-thrush, Banded
Fruit-dove and Chestnut-quilled Rock-pigeon to appear.  However, I suspect
that this area is still closed.

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street
BAKEWELL NT 0832