birding-aus

RFI: Trip to NT

Subject: RFI: Trip to NT
From: Jill Molan <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:33:14 +1100
I was in Darwin in January and was shocked to see the state of the Rufous Owl nesting tree. The Botanic Gardens in their wisdom have declared it a hazard (due to termite infestation i think) and trimmed all the branches right back, including the one I thought was the owls rather favourite low horizontal roosting branch, which made them so easy to see. There was barely a leaf on the tree, and not much around it, there seemed to have been some clearing of smaller trees and planting of palms. I couldn't locate the owls where I have seen them before, but i believe someone saw them in the rainforest area of the gardens (which is where they go in the non breeding season anyway i think). i don't know if the tree will recover in time for this breeding season. It would be good to know what happens with their breeding this year. Don't know if the Gardens are planning to monitor it. Clearly Darwin people would know more about the discussions / planning whatever around these decisions.

I have some photos of the tree if anyone wants a shock, i can email them. Don't recommend it however. Just don't get your hopes up for owls at the nesting tree.

regards
Jill
Bulli
South of Sydney, NSW