birding-aus

Lake Awoonga, Gladstone QLD

To: <>
Subject: Lake Awoonga, Gladstone QLD
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:40:52 +1000
Hi All

On Sunday 19th Nov, myself and couple of other birders were able to tag
along with a local walking group (Ramblers) on a bus trip to Lake Awoonga,
near Gladstone, QLD.  It was a good day out with some nice sightings but
unfortunately due to the strong wind coming off the water and the very few
trees in flower, sightings for the day were pretty low.  We were very
pleased with what we did find and I even managed to add a couple of new
birds to my list (although neither were actually sighted at the Lake).

I'm sure we were amusing the other passengers on the bus with our constant
spotting and pointing out the windows at birds.  Our 'Highway List' for the
drive from Hervey Bay to Lake Awoonga included.

Black Shouldered Kite
Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
Torresian Crow
Koel
Scared Ibis
Black Faced Cuckoo Shrike
Galah
Pacific Baza
Pied Butcherbird
Magpie
Dollarbird
King Parrot
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Great Cormorant
Straw-necked Ibis
Whistling Kite
Masked Lapwing

The birds we sighted at Lake Awoonga were;
Noisy Miner
Blue-faced Honeyeater
Little Pied Cormorant
Pelican
Darter
Great Egret
Laughing Kookaburra
White-throated Honeyeater (this was by far the most sighted bird at the
lake)
Brahminy Kite
Little Black Cormorant
Welcome Swallow
Koel
Red-backed Fairy-wren
Double-barred Finch
Pheasant Coucal
Torresian Crow
Figbird
Magpie
Dusky Moorhen
Tawny Frogmouth (nesting)
Whistling Kite (nesting)
Forest Kingfisher (nesting)
Spangled Drongo
Rainbow Lorikeet
White-faced Heron
Dollarbird
Noisy Friarbird
Caspian Tern
King Parrot
Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
Striated Pardalote

On the drive home I managed to add;

Appostlebird - A new bird for me - sighted at a rest area outside Gin Gin
Common Myna - another new one for me - sighted in large numbers all over
Childers (unfortunately).

Thanks and Happy Birding

Lee
Hervey Bay - QLD