birding-aus

Pitt Town, Hawkesbury; Pec, Wood, Marsh, Greenshank

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Pitt Town, Hawkesbury; Pec, Wood, Marsh, Greenshank
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:31:56 +1100
Had a look around Pitt Town with Al McKeough and Graham Turner this
afternoon. All the usual suspects were found, and most in larger
numbers than expected. 25 Glossy Ibis, 3 black swan, 20odd Shelduck
(I'm glad I twitched the single one a few weeks ago!), Pied Stilt,
thousands of Coot, teal, I didn't notice hard head or zebra but I
wasn't really looking. The real action was on the banks.

Up to 200 Sharpies were seen at various times, and they were quite
flighty. 5 Wood Sandpiper were seen, as well as a single Marsh SP.
Black Tailed Native Hen were extremely co-operative, even waiting for
Al to run back from the car while I watched it through the scope. Late
in the day a single Greenshank was seen back towards the car. No sign
of the Ruff though. A harrier caused some excitement near dusk as
well; everything about it screamed Spotted; colour, different jizz and
even a comparison with a Marsh all suggesting Spotted. If it had just
kept that white rump hidden though, I would have been in business. No
crake were sighted, but I was lucky enough to see them last week.

Also around the lagoon; Crested Shrike-Tit, an agitated Willy Wagtail,
28 Chestnut Mannikin in one tree, Tawny Grassbird, double bars,
Japanese Snipe and Horsfields heard calling. An excellent post work
session if I do say so myself.

Some recommendations to anyone wishing to check out the waders. Bring
gumboots and a scope. And Keith/CBOC, sorry we didn't fill in the
book, but put us down for 3 people and the birds listed above if need
be.

If you're considering it, go there now. Conditions should continue to
improve there over the next days/weeks.

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW