birding-aus

Camera gift THANK YOU

Subject: Camera gift THANK YOU
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:37:44 +1000
I just want to thank you all -- & there were SO many -- who wrote in response to my bemusement, when I was gifted 'any digital camera under $1,000.00'. After much agonising between the final 2, even unto the shop counter[!], I chose the Canon S3 IS. And I cannot tell you what a wonderful time I'm having with it! I know we can't post photos here on birding-aus, so I can only assure you that, as well as having lots of fun, I'm seeing my photos improve every day. This camera can DO so many things. But that wasn't my final reason for choosing it above the Panasonic with its fine Leica lens, & nor was the price difference. At the very last moment, just as I was about to walk out with the Panasonic, two factors stood before me: 1/ portability for a binocular-hung birder (I could just see myself in a gittish tangle with that lovely long lens!); and 2/ my own beginner status. Judging by the joy I'm getting from the Canon now, I think this was the right choice for me. Perhaps in 5 or 10 years I might be ready for the Panasonic (or its equivalent then). But maybe not, too -- I just love this camera. So -- thank you all very much. You made the shopping experience informed and pleasurable.

Best,
Judith.