birding-aus

Vanishing House Sparrow wrap-up

To: "'birding aus'" <>
Subject: Vanishing House Sparrow wrap-up
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:01:55 +1100

Surely the House Crow, Common Mynah, Common Starling etc are perceived as dull and ugly, whereas Cattle Egrets are white and fluffy, therefore acceptable. Similarly, Red-whiskered Bulbuls and Goldfinches are generally accepted as they are ‘pretty’ but House Sparrows are brown and unattractive.

Around 90 pct of the birds I get in my suburban back-yard are Spotted Turtle-doves, they are much more prevalent around here than Mynahs or Starlings, yet no one seems to be building traps to get rid of them.

By the way, my garden is half wilderness with no chemicals used, my neighbor’s garden has not been touched for years, but I never get any small birds at all except the odd House sparrow. On the other hand I get all of the large birds from Starlings up to White-faced Herons. I have planted small grevillias and bottle-brushes, but no luck at all.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW, Australia