birding-aus

Collared Dove import advice

To: <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Collared Dove import advice
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:48:05 +1000
Thanks Martin

I'm copying this to BOCA for Don Saunders and Penny Olsen. It would be good if someone could copy it to overseas bird lists to obtain more rigorous information, if that is necessary.

Note that comment is required by 13 July.and can go to

The assessment report seems to be basically the application, filled out with some further research eg. the important ANU/DAFF assessment of risks from importing new bird species which apparently does not cover much of the information from the USA, .

As Mike Simpson says, the invasive potential of the species is well known from its spread (as noted in the assessment) from Iraq through Europe with adaptation to colder areas (it's even reached Iceland). It has also spread widely in the USA, see:

It is interesting to note that the USA population probably resulted from an aviary break-in in the Bahamas. Reasonable care on the part of an owner is insufficient to guarantee that birds would not be "liberated" - see the severe impacts of minks liberated from fur farms in the UK.

That American site also states baldly that hybrids between S.decaocto and the Barbary Dove/Ringed Turtle-dove (S. 'risoria') are known. A feral population of several thousand S.'risoria' established in Alice Springs and I have not yet heard that it has yet been totally controlled. S. 'risoria' occurs annually in our part of Melbourne and has nested twice in recent years so the possibility of hybridisation cannot be discounted.

(I also haven't heard anything from DSE about controlling S.'risoria' in Melbourne and the rest of Victoria.)

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife