birding-aus

Collared Dove import advice

Subject: Collared Dove import advice
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:01:26 +1000

Am interested in people's thoughts on the following.

I receive these emails every now and then from the Commonwealth.  Most import items aren't birds but this item concerns me.

What are people's experience with this species in relation to:
- invasiveness
- disease risk
- interbreeding potential

of this exotic dove?

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St., East Melbourne  3002

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Stakeholder

For your information and/or comment. The Australian Government
Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) has received an
application to amend the live import list, maintained under the
Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, to
include Streptopelia decaocto (Collared Dove) as a household pet.

The draft assessment report for S. decaocto has now been placed on the
DEH website for a public comment period of 40 business days and can be
located at
http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/invitecomment/index.html

Please forward any comments to:
Director
Trade Communication and Live Imports
Department of the Environment and Heritage
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA   ACT   2601

Email: