birding-aus

*****SPAM***** ospreys

To: "James Rees" <>, <>
Subject: *****SPAM***** ospreys
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:01:13 +1100
From: "James Rees" <>

Hi James,

I don't know if it was Birding-aus' spam filters, Optusnet's or mine which
branded your e-mail as spam, obviously one or all of them got it wrong.

Coincidentally I was talking about this same subject (Ospreys and sticks!)
with a birding acquaintance this morning. I run a small mailing list
centered on Sydney's Northern Beaches and as far as we know these birds have
not nested here. Others have seen the stick carrying thing but no nest has
been found nor young birds seen. Some raptors carrying sticks may do it as
part of a courting procedure (not necessarily successful!). I have seen
Whistling Kites carrying and dropping sticks.

I have seen Powerful Owls on Middle Harbour Creek. There are a known nesting
pair in nearby Davidson Park.

Pacific Bazas were seen around: Turramurra, Beacon Hill and Warriewood
Wetland last year.

Bruce Cox.