birding-aus

Raptors and Sticks

To: <>
Subject: Raptors and Sticks
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:30:31 +1000
James Rees recent posting on Osprey with stick and Bruce Cox's reply prompted me to recall an incident about this time last year. Whilst on my way to work travelling on Sherwood Road (Rocklea, Brisbane) at Stable Swamp Creek I was amazed to see a mature WB Sea Eagle with a stick (more like the trunk of a sapling) flying very low toward the Brisbane River. The weight of the piece obviously hindered flight and it passed over my vehicle no more than 3-4 metres above it. I pulled to the verge to witness this spectacle and about the same time a gang of Crows, 2 Noisy Miners and a single Magpie launched a simultaneous attack on the WBSE. About half way between the road and the rail line the battle for grip was lost and the WBSE continued toward the river lighter of load but gaining altitude. I estimate the stick was at least 2 metres in length and 6-8 cm in width - I was glad it hadn't lost the battle over the top of my vehicle!

cheers

peter