birding-aus

NE Queensland Birding Triip Report - summary

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: NE Queensland Birding Triip Report - summary
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:04:55 +1100
Hi,

Just a quick summary of a recent trip myself and Nathan Waugh did to NE
Queensland (5th-11th January 2005). A more detailed report will follow in due
course which I will post on a website with information also on reptiles,
amphibians and mammals.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who provided information particularly Francis
Crome, Lloyd Nielsen, Alan Gillanders, Mike Carter, Rohan Clarke, Frank Pearce,
Ron Stannard and 'Thomas & Thomas' The Complete Guide to Finding Birds in
Australia. Thanks also to Mike Hunter and Richard Baxter for finding
Buff-breasted Buttonquail, giving us the chance to see this extremely difficult
bird.

The beginning of the wet season is a good time to visit the wet tropics. The
first major cyclone hit today, 24 hours after we left. The weather during the
trip was relatively cool and mainly dew-laden mornings with some overnight
rain, fresh winds, cool nights and daytime temperatures getting to the mid 30s.
Birding was spectacular as most birds were territorial and singing / calling. I
had never seriously birded any rainforest in Australia and I will not embarass
myself by saying how many new birds I saw but in all we topped 224 species in 7
days. I've included a complete list below but it is easier to say which species
we did not see.

We did not see: Rufous Owl, Lesser Sooty Owl, Papuan Frogmouth (all easier in
winter), Green and Cotton Pygmy Geese (all wetlands wet, birds probably thinly
distributed), Sarus Crane (not present in summer), White-eared Monarch
(probably overlooked in lowlands). We did however hear Rufous Owl at Lacey's
Creek and heard Masked Owl (very close, as usual!!) at Lake Tinaroo.

The highlights we did see were Blue-faced Parrotfinch (close scope views at
road sides at base of Bartle Frere walking track near Malanda), Red Goshawk
(bird seen well and found soaring low over Rock Creek War Memorial Park south
of Mareeba), Grass Owl (two birds circling over grassland next to the Kennedy
Highway just south of Atherton), Mangrove Robin (at north end of Cairns
Esplanade), Crimson Finch (various road side sites south of Cairns), Black
Bittern (seen at three locations including Thomsons Road, Big Mitchell Creek
and Daintree River, including perched birds at the latter), Barred Cuckoo
Shrike (Curtain Fig Tree + heard at Licuala State Forest), Atherton Scrubwren
(behind Mt Baldy), Golden Bowerbird (females behind Mt Baldy and at Crater NP),
Little Kingfisher (perched views on Chris Dahlberg's Daintree River Cruise +
birds at Cairns Botanic Gardens and Lacey's creek picnic area), Southern
Cassowary (just off road up track to Licuala State Forest off main road near
Lacey's Creek Picnic Area - adult and 2 juveniles), Chowchilla and Fernwren
(Crater NP), Southern Boobook lurida subsp. (Malanda Caravan Park), Squatter
Pigeon (various including roads just south of Kingfisher Park but largest
numbers on Tinaroo Creek Road), White-browed Robin (abundant in suitable
habitat including Big Mitchell Creek, 6 birds, Emerald Creek Falls, 2-3 birds),
Buff-breasted Buttonquail (dry slopes next to Big Mitchell Creek), Northern
Fantail (Big Mitchell Creek - apparently out of season stayover),
Black-throated Finches (25+ at buttonquail site, another 25+ on paved layby
near Big Mitchell Lake, Red-necked Crake (Kingfisher Park), Bushhen (Cane
fields next to Scamazzo road, opposite Newells Beach), Barn Swallow (Newells
Beach), Great-billed Heron (Daintree River Cruise with Chris Dahlberg), Black
Noddy and Black-naped Tern (Green Island).

Mammal and herpetological highlights included Green Ringtail Possum,
Frill-necked Lizard, Green Tree Snake and Lumholz Tree Kangaroo.

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.

Full list as follows:

1 Southern Cassowary