birding-aus

Digital cameras

To: Reid <>
Subject: Digital cameras
From: Vin Lam <>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:18:45 +1100
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:38:26AM +1100, Reid wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I see a recent advertisment for a Ricoh Caplio R1V digital still camera, for
> approx $650.   It is quoted as having 5.0 Megapixel performance, 0.8 second
> start-up, 0.05 second auto focus, expose and shoot, and a wide angle
> 28-135mm precision zoom lens with macro focusing to 1cm.  Most of these
> specifications are gobbeldgook to me, however.
>
> Does anyone have any first hand experience/comments on this camera, please?

Hi,

If you are looking to photograph birds, a 135mm is way too short.
300mm is the miminum. (Most of my bird photos are done at a focal
length of 900mm.)  There are a some similarly priced cameras at
around that price although 3mp or 4mp, that will go to around
380mm or 420mm. For birds anyway, you would get better photos than
a 5MP with a 135mm lens. The Panasonics are good for that, namely the
FZ3,(3mp) or FZ20(5mp), they have a 35-420mm lens, with a constant
2.8 aperture.  I have used the FZ20, and it would be good enough
for most people's needs, but a little more expensive. Stay away
from the Kodak though. Images from them are terrible.

Regards,
Vin.