birding-aus

Re: Rosy Starling

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Rosy Starling
From: "Andy Hall" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:31:50 +1000
Birding-Ausers, and John in particular,

I understand where you are coming from with this, but I felt that it was an
important point no-one had yet considered, that the species isn't held in
Australian Aviculture.
Especially seeing as it has now been backed up by someone with more
experience than me in Aviculture.

I agree that it is possible this bird has come off course from
India...but...

But I feel that it is  more likely the bird has escaped and  made the trip
from a neighbouring country, and in the time it took to arrive in Aus, it
could have moulted more than once, hence restoring tail, wingtips, etc.
Who knows how long it could have been an escapee for ? in which time it
could have restored itself back to perfect health and condition.
I can assure you that the two escapee I've had in my time of Bird-keeping (a
Cockatiel and a Bengalese Mannikin) neither of them had trouble flying high
and far.
But I understand that conditions in which birds are kept in other countries
aren't as good as *most* Australian Aviculturalists' birds are.
Also consider that it could have bathed regularly, and any caked muck on
it's feet could have long since been washed off.
In my opinion, approachability doesn't really factor into it, because none
of my birds would let you get anywhere near them if they escaped.
Unless the Starling was Hand-raised, then it would most probably lose any
approachability it may have had from being captive.

Also, in response to Rohan's comment...
Quote:
"Given there is no particular character or behaviour to suggest a captive
bird and it's arrival fits both it's tendency for vagrancy and timing of
southward migration a wild bird seems to be the logical conclusion."

Is it not possible that it was an escapee in a country north of Aus, and
it's instinct to migrate Southward carried it here ?

I think it's a fantastic sighting, I was just pointing out possibilities
no-one had yet discussed, and if that's a crime by you, then please excuse
me, I'll refrain from making possibly helpful suggestions in the future.
An inability to see something from someone else's point of view, with their
different knowledge and background, could be a severe handicap to anyone
trying to figure out where this bird came from.

Andy.