birding-aus

Re: Rosy Starling

To: <>
Subject: Re: Rosy Starling
From: "Andy Hall" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 23:17:21 +1000
Re: Rosy StarlingHi All,

I apologize for not introducing myself before now, i've only ever read
messages from birding-aus.
I'm Andy, from Springwood, Blue Mtns, NSW.

But i felt obliged to help in this situation :)

I am a keen Aviculturalist (as well as Bird-watcherer), and have been
keeping birds for a number of years, and to my knowledge, the Rosy Starling
doesn't occur in Aviculture here in Aus. I could be wrong...
I can tell you right now that if it was held by a private collector, it
would be worth an incredible amount, and there's no way they'd let it
escape, LOL.

Softbills (the avicultural term for any bird that doesn't live on mostly
seed) are quite rare (and therefore expensive) in Aviculture in Aus, with
only a few species being in the country, e.g. Pekin Robin, Shama Thrush,
Red-whiskered Bul Bul.
There are, of course, a few native Softbills kept, such as Wrens, Chats, and
Kingfishers.

Although it is entirely possible that it is an escapee from some other
country, then it somehow got here.....

If you guys up there could manage to catch it, would ya mind sending a pair
down my way ??  *wink wink, j/k*

Cheers,
Andy