birding-aus

Re: Rosy Starling

To: <>
Subject: Re: Rosy Starling
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:09:37 +1000
I think that a sensible reaction when a rare bird turns up is to consider if
it is an escapee or not. One thinks, "Migration season, Indian destination,
bird has flow 6000 kms to get to India - about the same distance to Broome
district of Western Oz?  The journey would be almost entirely over sea
although a Java landing would be possible? Possible cage bird (ship assist?)
but not a common one?"

So I considered it an unlikely wild bird but certainly a possible.  We don't
know if it was approachable or not which is some indication but, even then,
after flying 11,000 km the bird would be so exhausted that it couldn't fly
away anyway.

I can't get to Broome to look for it and am not trying to rain on anyone's
parade - I just enjoy this kind of analysis.

Tim Murphy