birding-aus

Re: Duck Shooting must stop!

Subject: Re: Duck Shooting must stop!
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:01:37 +1100

On the weekend, at my local wetland, i witnessed numerous protected species being killed and bag limits exceeded.  Hunters were arriving at dusk and shooting birds as they came into roost, even though a curfew of 1/2 hour  after dusk was imposed.   No signs of any enforcement of these restrictions were visible.

Victoria has over 20,000 licenced game shooters.  Each shooter is allowed to take a maximum of 5 birds a day.

Thats potentially 100,000 birds killed a day in Victoria! legally!   And with the season running for 58 days.....do the sums Mr Thwaites!

THIS IS NOT SUSTAINABLE!

The whole of Reedy Lake at Leopold was swarming with duck shooters and gave the ducks (and other birds) no chance to land and hide in the reeds, without being spooked by another group of hunters and subsequently shot.  The whole population of ducks were virtually massacred!

I could take no more when i saw a Magpie Goose, a reintroduced species to Victoria(after previous era's of inhuman hunting activities),  plummet to the ground.
Serendip Sanctuary  have put in long hard efforts to try to reintroduce the species back to Victoria, and Reedy Lake is supporting a large population of them..or was.  How can the government fund a project like this, while allowing its objectives to be comprimised by opposing activities?

Furthermore, allowing these 'threatening to society' activities to go unregulated only 1 km from the residential suburb of Leopold with nearly 10,000 people.

When will this nightmare stop for our native wildlife and the people that respect them?

My family, who are also residents of Leopold, were awoken by gun shoots and the barking of local dogs in the area, that were scared witless by the comotion going on nearby.

It is my opinion that allowing duck shooting this close to a residential area, contradicts the peaceful society we are trying to create. (Or is this the state of disorder the government believes necessary to promote, to encourage support for  the war mongering Australia is participating in?)

Actions need to be taken immediatley, Mr Thwaite!  Else you will be held responsible for the  decimation of the native waterfowl population in Victoria.

Please consider the following:

** Regulate the number of hunters on a wetland at any one time.

** Provide safe havens for birds, where no shooters are allowed.

** Shooting to cease half an hour BEFORE dark - how are identification skills and safety issues aided by allowing shooting at night time?

** Ensure Police Officers and Wildlife Officers are present at all open wetlands to enfore restrictions.

** Closure of game reserves within 5 km of residential areas.

** Total ban on lead shot - not just 12 guage and above

** BAN DUCK SHOOTING!