birding-aus

red tailed blacks and Melia azedarach

Subject: red tailed blacks and Melia azedarach
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:18:08 +1100
Just a short note about the introduced Chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach)
which is from asia.

As a Richmond (Melbourne) resident, I made submissions to our council
requesting them to avoid using exotic trees, where ever this was
inappropriate, in the planned revegetation of the Yarra Council area.  This
included using Melia spp.  which are planned for our streetscapes near
home.

Part of my argument against this species was the toxic nature tree parts
(fruits and leaves) and the fact they drop numerous very hard fruit on the
ground, which then become a hazard to elderly and disabled people (acting
like ball bearings!).

Interesting to note that the symptoms in humans are - stomach irritation,
vomiting, bloody diarrhea, paralysis, irregular breathing, and respiratory
distress (if large quantities are eaten or tea made from the leaves!).

If these plants are recommended for planting for black-cockatoo use, I
guess it may be another example of cockatoos eating things which do not
poison them (?).

Interested in anyones comments/thoughts on this.

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne

Some further information on the toxic properties etc of this tree can be
found at:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Meliaaz.htm
http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Melia_azedarach.html
http://daffodil.plantbio.uga.edu/PPG/Plant%20Summary%20Pages/melia_azederach.htm