birding-aus

White Ibis

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: White Ibis
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:03:43 +1000
 Syd Curtis has commented on the Australian White Ibis problem.

> However, I do agree that they become pests in city parks.  Once they lose
> their fear of humans they can be positively frightening to a small child,
> and were there a practicable method of discouraging them from the parks, I
> would certainly support using it.
>
> The obvious approach is to persuade the public not to feed them, discard
> food scraps, or leave food uncovered.  But sadly that can't be done, human
> nature being what it is.

Yes Syd and others, this is sadly true.  I was in Brisbane's King George
Square about 18 months ago where there were a number of prominent signs
saying "do not feed the Ibis" with full sized colour pictures of said bird.
To may amazement and dismay a group of pre-schoolers arrived with their
teacher/parent minders and promptly began to feed the Ibis within about 2
metres of a sign.  That same day in the Queen Street mall I witnessed two
people having food stolen out of their hands by fearless Ibis.
> Not a solution for Ibis though.  Any ibis released elsewhere would almost
> certainly beat the person releasing it, back to the park.
>
> Is there a solution?

Some of you maybe aware that a 'tame' Wedge-tailed Eagle was used re4cently
to scare off the Ibis in central Brisbane and this seemed to work quite
well.  I am not sure of the present state of play but it was certainly quite
effective in the short term.

Cheers

|Roy

ven up as hopeless, trying to educate park visitors, and had
turned their attention to educating the bears.  Any bear found begging along
the access roads was tranquillised and moved to a distant part of the park.
If it returned, it was taken to a very remote part.  A third offence and,
reluctantly, it was destroyed.

Not a solution for Ibis though.  Any ibis released elsewhere would almost
certainly beat the person releasing it, back to the park.

Is there a solution?

Syd