birding-aus

Pratincoles at Werribee

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pratincoles at Werribee
From: "Isaac Clarey" <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:27:52 +1000
G'day everyone

Visited the Western Treatment Plant (Werribee) yesterday in search of the Pratincoles and Shoveller. We searched for over an hour for the Northern Shoveller around the T-section Lagoons without any success. Maybe it was too late in the afternoon or we just weren't looking hard enough but we couldn't find it anywhere. Could anyone please give me some more accurate directions on where to find the Shoveller as we weren't sure which part of the T-section Lagoons to look around?

The Oriental Pratincoles were found after a lot of searching (they were very well hidden and not moving around much) roosting at the river end of the Paradise Road Ponds. Excellent views were had of the two birds sitting together. Also of interest were the White-winged Black-Terns in full breeding plumage flying around the northern end of Lake Borrie.

Isaac