birding-aus

Australian Hobby at Sunshine Plaza, Maroochydore

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Australian Hobby at Sunshine Plaza, Maroochydore
From: "jan england" <>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:10:00 +1000
Hi everyone,

As none of my children were visiting me for Mother's Day, I decided to take myself shopping to get some more furnishings for my new home.  As I was walking across one of the bridges over the canal at Sunshine Plaza, my mobile rang and of course it was my dear son passing on his best wishes for the day.  So I sat down on a nearby seat so that I could appreciate the beauty of the glorious day that we were having on the Sunshine Coast while I chatted to him.  As we were exchanging pleasantries,  I was looking down the canal when a Hobby swooped in amongst the Welcome Swallows sailing gaily in the air and caught himself some lunch.  Then it quickly wheeled away over the roof of the buildings with a swallow in its talons.  My son couldn't understand why I was so excited as he tried to tell me about his new apartment.

It reminded me of the occasions at Newhaven last year when we were working down at Camel Bore and while we were having lunch, we could watch the Hobby fly through the hundreds of Zebra Finches and catch himself (or herself) some fresh lunch on the wing.  Its sometimes just a case of being in the right place at the right time!

Jan