birding-aus

wader photos

Subject: wader photos
From: Dennis Paulson <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:37:10 -0800
G'day,

I just subscribed to the list so I could ask a question of the members, and I hope this is an "approved" subject.

I'm in the midst of writing a photographic guide to North American shorebirds, and I wondered if anyone on this list is a wader photographer and would be interested in having your photos used in this book. I'm looking primarily for photos of Siberian waders, as almost all of them have been found in North America, and the book will discuss even accidental species. I hope some of you have seen my book Shorebirds of the Pacific Northwest, as I know at least a few copies have found their way Down Under.

Princeton University Press, which is publishing the present book, has assured me that all photographers will be remunerated well, but as commercial use of this list is discouraged, I won't mention any amounts!

If you are a wader photographer with a good collection of good photos of Siberian waders (or any others that occur in North America) and would be interested in this, please e-mail me. Or if you know of someone who's not on the list who I should contact, that would be great, too. Thanks!

By the way, I also find it enjoyable to hear about Aussie birding. I've made four trips to your beautiful country, the last of which was just two months ago. The last two trips have been oriented toward dragonflies, but I've done plenty of birding on all of them. On this most recent visit, I paid someone to take my wife and me out birding for the first time in my life, and I saw 18 new birds in a day around Deniliquin with Phil Maher, one of my finest birding days in recent years. Seeing three new waders (you can probably figure out which three) was heavenly!

Dennis
--
Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352