birding-aus

Re: yellow-rumped thornbills in the mangroves

Subject: Re: yellow-rumped thornbills in the mangroves
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:30:15 +1100
Bruce was surprised to find Yellow-throated Thornbills foraging in
mangroves.

I lived at Fullerton Cove (a large tidal bay off the Hunter and main
feeding area for shorebirds), just north of Newcastle, for six years.  The
house was basically among saltmarsh and just a stones throw (literally)
from the mangroves (mosquito heaven).  While the mangroves petered out to
a small sandy beach (a major shorebird roost) near the house the mangrove
forest was up to several hundred metres wide a bit further from the house.

I birded regularly in the more extensive part of the mangrove forest
(actually doing some regular RAOU ABC surveys).  While the most common
birds were Yellow Thornbills, Grey Fantails and Mangrove Gerygones, other
commonly reported species (often a long way from the adjacent farmland)
were Superb Fairy-wren, Rufous Whistler, Yellow Robin, Shining
Bronze-cuckoo (obviously very happy with the densities of thornbills and
geygone) and YELLOW-RUMPED THORNBILL.  All of these birds were invariably
foraging in the trees - I rarely saw the birds on the mud - I guess most
of these species aren't keen on crab.

Cheers

David

David Geering
Threatened Species Unit
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.