birding-aus

Masked Lapwings

To: <>
Subject: Masked Lapwings
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:29:51 +1100
Dear Bill, et al,
Phillip Island has a very high density of Masked Lapwings, but I've noticed
they prefer cleared, vacant land for feeding, nesting etc. My garden  has a
relatively small area of lawn and buildings and or trees & bushes around.
I've never had any Lapwings nesting on my property - they occasionally come
up the drive and venture into the back yard.  I presume they need more open
space than my property can offer them, although I wouldn't mind them taking
up residence.  Almost all the neighbouring houses with little or no garden
are used by the resident lapwings, especially if they are not occupied by
humans all the time.
Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island (SE of Melbourne)