birding-aus

Painted Snipe at Banyule

To: <>
Subject: Painted Snipe at Banyule
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:55:30 +1100
Greetings all.

This is my first posting, but probably not the last.

The Painted Snipe was observed in the 'usual' spot this morning (Monday).First sighted at 10.15 it was visible in varying degrees until 11.10am at which point it disappeared when I was distractedly looking elsewhere. For most of the period it was roosting, with one eye and the very obvious head stripe visible. When the sun made a brief appearance it would move about a little and preen, but return to roosting when the clouds came back over.

I went for a stroll to see what else was around, bumping in to Michael Norris and seeing a White-winged Triller. Back to the 'grubby' pond for another look. Eventually finding the PS again at 12.35, in virtually the same place as earlier, just more hidden. It remained for the most part roosting and very difficult to see even with a scope, impossible without. Was still barely visible when I  left at 1.20pm.

From the ironbark, it was directly in line with the plastic bag and tennis ball, nestled low in the dead grass, and when out of view, behind the tufts of green weed framing the particular small patch of dead grass.

Good hunting.

Joy Tansey
Kensington, Vic.