birding-aus

Painted Snipe at Banyule

To: <>
Subject: Painted Snipe at Banyule
From: "Joy Knight" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:31:53 +1000
I arrived at 8.30 with chair (bung kneee) and binoculars intending to stay until I had seen it. Many other twitchers there but it was not being co-operative.

When everyone left for lunch I went through the gate and sat down under the Iron Bark with the Tawny Frogmouth sitting on her nest above me.

Marlene Lyell joined me just after 12noon and we scanned the grubby pool in front of us. At 12.15 Marlene identified a bird in the dead reeds. It was hunkered down behind that infamous green rubbish bag and the tennis ball. It had a distinctive eye patch, long beak and a very white streak that was almost camouflaged by the creamy-white of the dead reeds.

We watched it for 15 minutes and then it disappeared, finally emerging out onto the mudflat providing excellent views for over 40 minutes. Others joined us, but not a 'scope to be seen!

For those needing specific details of how to get there -
Park up on Banyule Road in one of the offcut parking areas
Walk down the grassy hill to the fenced off "Grubby Pool"
Go through the gate and follow the well worn track through the grass to the log under the tree
Green rubbish bag and tennis ball should be opposite you at the far end of the pool - knowing where it was Marlene tried to locate it from the bike path above it but it was too steep, although Latham's Snipe on the island can be viewed from this position.

Good luck!