birding-aus

Townsville

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Townsville
From: "Alfred Henry Acton" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:26:30 +1000
G'day everyone,
                        This month in Townsville has seen the weather turn rather cool. Dropping to 7C in the morning for quite a few days, although most days it manages to climb to around 22-27C by mid morning. (Perfect) On only one day it stayed down at 18C and we all whinged about the cold, after all, we are sun worshipers here you know. Townsville's official rain for July is 2mm. So with that startling amount you would guess quite rightly that things have continued to dry out even more.

I received a call on the 18th that a Sarus Crane had been spotted at the Town Common so promptly rang a fellow TRBOC member and off we went to look for it NO LUCK. But did manage to see Wood Duck (10) and Black-faced Woodswallow (2). Both are NOT common at the common.
Other interesting Sightings at the Common on 1st July were 1 Chestnut Teal and 1 Black-tailed Godwit.

Several of our group went up to Paluma on the 22nd hoping to see the Golden Bowerbird. 3 of us dipped because we were too busy feeding our rumbling tums, but we managed to score Fernwren which the rest missed.(can't have it all ) It was a shocker of a day cold (make that freezing) with low mist followed by cloud. I was not able to take off the jumper till it was time to leave at 3.00pm. The other bird of interest was a Square-tailed Kite.

About a dozen Brown Boobies were seen at Balgal Beach on the 28th.
Lastly a Little Eagle and female Shining Flycatcher were spotted at Shelly Beach on  Sunday 29th.

The Grey Fantail is still visiting my yard daily and I wonder how much longer I will be lucky to have its company.

Well that is it for this month, I am going to Toonpan in the morning if anything startling shows I will let you know.

Marleen.