birding-aus

Ducklings in Trouble, Mother Calls the Police

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Ducklings in Trouble, Mother Calls the Police
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:42:48 -0700 (PDT)
Ducklings in Trouble, Mother Calls the Police

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - When a family
of ducklings fell down a Vancouver sewer grate their
mother did what any parent would do. She got help from
a passing police officer. Vancouver police officer Ray
Peterson admitted he was not sure what to make of the
duck that grabbed him by the pant leg while he was on
foot patrol on Wednesday evening in a neighborhood
near the city's downtown.`I thought it was a bit
goofy, so I shoved it away,'

Peterson told the Vancouver Sun newspaper. The mother
duck persisted, grabbing peterson's leg again when he
tried to leave, and then waddling to a nearby sewer
grate where she sat down and waited for him to follow
and investigate. `I went up to where the duck was
lying and saw eight little babies in the water below,'
he said. Police said they removed the heavy metal
grate with the help of a tow truck and used a
vegetable strainer to lift the ducklings to safety.

Mother and offspring then departed for a nearby pond.

Could we say Mum and kids are so very grate full? :^D
okay Mr. Vella give me the 8 numbers between 1 and 45
and then it's good luck to Birds Australia.

John A. Gamblin