birding-aus

RE: Avocets at Kooragang

Subject: RE: Avocets at Kooragang
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:46:20 +1000
Graham

The number of Avocets at Kooragang rises and falls.  I have had over 2000 at
one time and counts over 1000 were regular during my time in Newcastle (1991
-1998).  I lived at Fullerton Cove and had a wader roost in my backyard.  It
wasn't unusual to get 500 -1000 Avocet roosting there at high tide.  At times
they would force the regular roosters there (Greenshank, Marsh Sandpiper and,
in early autumn, Black-tailed Godwit) to roost elsewhere because of lack of
space.

The numbers fluctuate according to the condition of our inland wetlands.
Inland floods would result in a disappearance of the Avocet for quite some
time.  The numbers would then gradually build up as the inland dried out.
There would invariably be large numbers of young birds when they returned.

In regards Easter Curlew.  It isn't unusual to get a couple of hundred of these
over-wintering.

Cheers

David Geering

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW NPWS
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo NSW 2830
Ph. Freecall 1800 621 056 or 02 6883 5335

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify
the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
and are not necessarily the views of the NSW National Parks and Wildlife
Service.