birding-aus

Caloundra Sandbanks, 31.5.01

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Caloundra Sandbanks, 31.5.01
From: jilldening <>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:04:15 +1000
Hello everyone,

Below are the results of last Thursday's (31.5.01) survey on the Caloundra
sandbanks, SEQld. I have heard one story after another in recent years about
the growing populations of Silver Gulls everywhere. Whilst I don't have
comparative numbers to quote you, my observations give me the feeling that
Silver Gull numbers have grown in Caloundra over the years. The numbers we
are seeing at the moment cause me concern, if their rise is at the expense
of other species. If this was a natural process, I would accept it, but man
has a hand in reducing the habitat area required by some species, and this,
I think would qualify for that category. In Caloundra the extensive
shoreline is littered with picnic tables, and gulls hang around all the time
for food. Recreational fishing is huge in the town, and gulls love
fishermen. Last week we had a flock of 760 fly in as a single group after
sunset, giving us a total of 1388 for the day.

We still have the Victorian flagged young Caspian Tern, but the metal-banded
adult to which it was attached is not around. The bird begs from any adult
Caspian nearby. I can't say absolutely that this is the same bird week after
week, but I am inclined to think that it is the same bird. There is a
consistency in the fact that we regularly see two young begging from adults.

TOTAL NUMBER OF SPECIES    23
TOTAL NUMBER OF BIRDS    1703

SPECIES LIST

Tern, Caspian     8
Tern, Common     14
Tern, Crested     574
Tern, Gull-billed    34
Tern spp    1   (this was a Lesser Crested)
Gull, Silver     862
Curlew, Eastern     5
Whimbrel    9
Godwit, Bar-tailed     20