birding-aus

Re: switch it OFF ! - better still, dump the monster in the bin.

To: "Bill Stent" <>
Subject: Re: switch it OFF ! - better still, dump the monster in the bin.
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:40:35 +0930
Hi Bill, well yes I of course appreciate mobiles can be useful in a dire
emergency, but that in my opinion is all they should be for.  I find
ordinary fixed phones bad enough in terms of their intrusive nature,
breaking up meetings, discussions, interviews, time with friends and family
etc, but
mobiles, with which anyone can intrude on your life at any time anywhere are
a disgusting application of technology and consumerism. This is all quite
apart from the potential health hazard they represent.  No way Jose, I
wouldn't have one if I was paid to, and luckily I'm retired so no employer
can force one on me either.
I do have a GPS, but that is very much a socially passive item, only in
operation when I dictate and used purely for my own navigational
requirements, so I see that as quite a different concept. Plus I don't put
it to my ear. But then a GPS is only a passive receiving device anyway, not
something which belches out RF radiation at me like a mobile would, so again
is quite a different application of technology.
Plus I also hate the way the telecommunications multinationals have created
a market for something most people don't need and which now sucks money from
the public, most of it going overseas where it provides no benefit to the
mugs here using the gadget.
I know I know, I'm off topic for this net.
Rave on Tony.