birding-aus

*ID query*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *ID query*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:02:04 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,

I've been discussing over the phone an unusual visitor
that now calls in early am and later at days end to my
home.

The Adelaide phone caller and I have sort of agreed?
well sort of? that we believe it is most likely an
immature "Grey Butcherbird" ( Cracticus torquatus )
but what is NOT convincing ME is the beak colouring?
this little one that has taken up the role of boss
"tree sparrow" has what I could only describe as being
a non glossy, not quite matt finish, metallic black
throughout the entire beak.

Plus it's size is about 2 thirds larger then a tree
sparra?????? if it is an immature then what is it
doing out on it's own? why is it appearing to me to
live with tree sparrows?

Anyone like to have a go at shedding some light? as
yet I have not heard a call that I could positively
say was produced by the bird, the coluring is very
close to an immature "GB".

Writes perplexed,
In Hastings,
:^D have a wonderful bird-day everyone, see Tones I
keep my word and didn't tell a dover sole it was your
birthday :-]