birding-aus

writing protest letters

Subject: writing protest letters
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:32:56 -0000
Dear All,

Just a thought on writing protest letters about environmental enormities happening in other countries. Most letters seem to be suggesting that you write the Minister or Ministry in that country, but I think a more effective strategy is to write to the Ambassador of that country in Australia (or in whichever country you are). During this last year I worked for one of the Embassies in Canberra and I can testify that even a few protest letters can ruffle feathers, as Ambassadors are much more concerned with their country's international reputation than are bureaucrats and politicians in that country.

Australians can download a document called The Diplomatic List from the Dept of Foreign Affairs Web-site: http://www.dfat.gov.au/protocol/ and this will tell you the name and address of the relevant Embassy/Ambassador. And people in other countries can probably find similar information at their Departments of Foreign Affairs web-sites.

For those Australians wanting to protest the Korean reclamation scheme, for example, write to:

HE Mr Shin Hyo-hun
Ambassador
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
113 Empire Circuit