birding-aus

Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what

To: <>
Subject: Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what
From: "Ian Clark" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:46:17 +1000
It  is not very often that I  bump into other birders .
  admittedly I dont know what they look like  and  fortunately in this great land of ours people in general tend to be  thin on the ground .
 I  have noticed   different birders have  different  interests  I for instance have only a little interest  in shore birds
 (they all look the same any how   :-)   )
Parrots   on the other hand   have captured  my interest  since I was a child  ( I am  33 now)
 I can still remember  watching birds  through the classroom window ,  my nickname was budgie . I dont know  how many of those people  I went to school with  have developed   an interest , but my family, friends and workmates  all now   notice birds  and wouldn't have missed   the black  cockies  like you  saw .
I can be seen  regularly along the  yarra  trails  or  the back beaches   of the  Mornington peninsular , but  if you passed my truck  on the road , you would never guess it contained a  bird watcher
cheers Ian Clark