birding-aus

Cannon Netting Poll

To: <>
Subject: Cannon Netting Poll
From: "sonnenburg" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:09:36 +1000
Well said, Frank!!

I have not entered this debate previously despite having strong feelings on
the matter. Peter Cheuwon makes provocatively strong statements about
cannon-netting and Night Parrot hides behind a pseudonym doing the same
about banding.  NP is not brave enough to put a name up so we know who
he/she is.
I assume that both of these people like birds and wish to see them survive
for future generations to enjoy their beauty and free spirit.

I challenge both of them to state what they have done in terms of bird
conservation or indeed any conservation issues.  It is sad that the 'no
cannon-netting' proponents appear to have chosen to totally ignore the
information put on this medium by Hugo, Wim and Andrew Geering and others.
It appears that they happily sit there thinking that if we just let things
be, everything will be fine and the birds will be happy.

I have not noticed a single word about road kills of birds which would total
hundreds in Australia each day or, as has been mentioned, the enormous
losses of birds through land clearing.

For the record, I am an "A" class bander and have also been involved with
many cannon-nettings with QWSG.  I have never personally had a fatality or
injury with my mist netting and, like all banders I know, the welfare of the
birds is paramount.  Sure, we have had a few losses with cannon-netting but
it would be under 1%.  Like others I really feel for the birds which do
suffer but I strongly believe that in the long term the benefits, which may
lead to the survival of many species, depends on the research and the data
we gather from banding and/or cannon-netting.

I have also been involved in many conservation issues and groups, done bird
rehab work for many years (and often had birds die in my hands after being
chomped by a pet cat).   I also chair Brisbane City's Biodiversity Advisory
Committee (an honorary position).  Birds are my life and my livelihood and I
escort many overseas visitors around showing them our wonderful birds.

Let us hear from the critics!!

Roy Sonnenburg
Brisbane