birding-aus

A SUPERB SEA WATCH OFF MAGIC PT, MAROUBRA - 12TH JUNE 2000

To: <>
Subject: A SUPERB SEA WATCH OFF MAGIC PT, MAROUBRA - 12TH JUNE 2000
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:52:20 -0000

Today, myself, Rod Gardner and Lorne Johnson had no doubt one of our best sea watching experiences that we have ever had. Myself and Lorne enthusiastically drove from home in the early morning in the cold and rain but for a purpose. We both got to Maroubra at the same time, about 7:30 am. We then headed off to Magic Maroubra on foot sighting 3 Brown Quail walking along the track infront of us, an Eastern Reef Egret on the rocks, and flushed a Southern Emuwren as we passed through heath. As soon as we arrived at point and until 1 pm, it was non-stop action. Within a few minutes myself and Lorne had about 10 species of seabird and included a new one for both of us - COMMON DIVING PETREL. We soon learnt that the Common Diving Petrel has a very diagnostic flight, with constant rapid whirring wings (appearing non-stop) unlike any of the other seabirds seen that day, making this fairly tiny seabird easy to identify. We also had great views of 3 species of Albatross, Fluttering Shearwaters, numerous Prions, Antarctic Skua etc. Shortly after Rod Gardner joined us and we continually saw more great seabirds, including 2 Wandering and atleast 8 Shy Albatross, many close in Fairy Prions within atleast 30 metres off the rocks, atleast 1 Antarctic and 1 Slender-billed Prion, Northern and other Giant Petrels, White-fronted Terns, and an absolute highlight for Rod, an ARCTIC TERN in full breeding plumage. This brilliant bird had a nice red bill, grey wash to breast and belly, narrow-dark trailing edge to primaries, and nice long white tail streamers. We took brief notes and rough sketch of the bird so that we can send in a rarities form. This is second time I have seen one in full breeding plumage during winter when they should be now up in the northern hemisphere. I saw one in full breeding plumage perched on the rocks near Norah Head a few years ago.

Though the winds could have even been better which appeared mainly from the SW, they were quite moderate and enough to drive many seabirds towards the rocks in for excellent viewing. One can clearly see the diagnostic mark of the black-armpit of a Shy Albatross or the distinguishing features of the prions. Many may have the impression that all they will see is little dots in the ocean by land-based sea watching but when the conditions are ideal (which do not come too often), sea watching can be as great (if not better) than a pelagic trip and truly an exciting experience which can be too much for words. You have to be out there to experience it.

The list of sea birds seen during the time is as follows:

Fairy Penguin (heard)

Black-browed Albatross (60 plus)

Campbell Island Albatross (race Impavida of Black-browed based on current taxonomy) (1)

Yellow-nosed Albatross (4 plus)

Shy Albatross (8) (all probably race cauta)

Wandering Albatross (2) (including possibly atleast 1 Gibsons Albatross)

NORTHERN GIANT PETREL (1)

other Giant Petrel species (4)

SLENDER-BILLED PRION (1-2)

ANTARCTIC PRION (1)

Fairy Prion (100-200)

other Prion species (200 plus)

Huttons Shearwater (2 plus)

Fluttering Shearwater (100 plus)

COMMON DIVING PETREL (3)

Australasian Gannet (10 plus)

Little Pied Cormorant

Great Cormorant

Antarctic Skua (2)

Kelp Gull (1 Imm)

Silver Gull

Crested Tern

White-fronted Tern (3 plus)

ARCTIC TERN (1 in full breeding plumage)

Other non-seabirds

Peregrine Falcon (pair)

Feral Pigeon (1)

I hope this will get many out sea watching as it can truly be an "UMREAL FANTASTIC" experience.

Edwin