birding-aus

Swift parrots & Regents & Sea watching on the Central Coast

To: <>
Subject: Swift parrots & Regents & Sea watching on the Central Coast
From: "Allan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:46:11 +1000
Hi All,
Simon Kennedy, Swift Parrot Co-ordinator, is making a visit to the NSW Central Coast at present to assess the importance of the flowering Swamp Mahogany to these parrots and John McLennan, Craig Arms and myself were able to take him to those patches of flowering Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus robustus) where Regent Honeyeaters or Swift Parrots have been seen in the recent past.

We have been particularly pleased with this years winter survey 20-21 May, for, for the first time ever, Regent Honeyeaters were actually seen at two sites regularly surveyed (South Swansea & Sun Valley Rd Erina) without us knowing before hand that they were present. This is a good reason for running these surveys! Alas no Swift Parrots were seen and the Regents have not been seen at either site since!

However, while showing Simon around we found 4 Swift Parrots on Sunday 11 June, at the South Swansea site, and had perfect views close up and in sunlight! To reward Simon we took him for half an hours sea-bird watching at Soldiers Point, near Norah Head, and were able to show him Black-browed, Yellow-nosed & Shy Albatrosses, Fluttering Shearwaters and White-fronted Terns. Prions could be seen well out. Simon had another reward later in the morning with a pair of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins in the Berkeley Vale High School Swamp feeding in long grass!

I returned to Norah Head briefly today and saw Yellow-nosed and Black-browed Albatrosses and at least 300+ Fairy Prions in relatively close, but it was not possible to determine if there were any Slender-billed or other Prions present. Rain stopped play!

Alan Morris
Central Coast Regent Honeyeater Volunteer Ops Group Organiser