birding-aus

Chicken-hawke

To: <>
Subject: Chicken-hawke
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:41:48 +1000
> Dear all,
> When someone talks about a "Chicken-hawke" which bird exactly are they
> refering to or is it a name for any large Raptor they see over head?
> If the latter one which raptors prey on chickens?

"Chicken hawk" is a colloquial name for any of a number of hawks alleged
to prey on chickens, including the Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis),
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii), and Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo
jamaicensis).  I'm not aware of any Australian hawks given this name, but
the Brown Goshawk (Accipiter fasciatus) and Grey Goshawk (Accipiter
novaehollandiae) would fit the same niche.

While the name "chicken hawk" refers to hawks that prey on chickens, the
name "goshawk" (= "goose hawk") apparently refers to the size and colouring
on the Northern Goshawk, though I'm sure they wouldn't pass up a goose
dinner given half a chance.