birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Sanderling by the hundred

To: (Richard Johnson), Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Sanderling by the hundred
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:05:22 +1100
Hi Richard,

There has been the very occasional report of a Sanderling on the Caloundra
Sandbanks, but not for several years now. Those reports are the ones which
drive me to keep searching. However, the habitat is not ideal. Sanderling,
in my limited experience, prefer ocean beaches, and the Pumicestone Passage
is a sheltered estuary. Don Cameron, QPWS ranger is up and down the ocean
beach on Bribie Island frequently, and to my knowledge has not reported a
Sanderling. Other open local beaces - no, unless someone reading this has
other knowledge. The beaches are in heavy usage by the human population.
However, perhaps they could turn up on beaches and go unreported, because
very few people would recognise them.

However, the continuing presence of many thousands of terns makes life in
this part of the world very interesting.

Cheers, and Happy Christmas to all.

Jill

>Hi Jill
>
>I wonder if there's something unappealing to sanderling about the beaches in
>your area, or if you've just been unlucky? Are there ever reports from other
>Sunshine Coast beaches? The odd bird or two or three turns up fairly regularly
>at the beach on the point above Rainbow Beach where you can get a ferry across
>to Fraser Island - is it called Inskip Point? Rod hobson sees a few on the
>ocean beaches of Fraser, too.
>
>Regards, Richard
>
>Jill Dening wrote:
>
>> Gee whizz, what I would give to see those Sanderling. I have searched the
>> sandbanks at Caloundra, SEQ, for years, but have never managed to locate
>> even one here. We did see a few dozen once on the beach at Strahan in
>> western Tasmania. Well done, Bob & Rolly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld