birding-aus

birding-aus 1999 Highlight

Subject: birding-aus 1999 Highlight
From: Peter Milburn <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:21:42 +1100
Steve Clarke beat me to pointing out that the century has over a year to run!

However I do have some good highlights (apologies to Tony Palliser):

On a banding trip from Bateman's Bay in August with Bruce Cantle I stood
poised with net at the ready as we tried to tempt a Southern Giant-Petrel
to the boat.  The bulk of the burley was beating troughed by a Southern
Fulmar (how many kilos could such a bird eat?) from under the
Giant-Petrel's nose.  The Fulmar had been banded some 2 hours earlier and
had become something of a nusiance to our cause.

Then to the rescue came an adult Chatham Albatross which grabbed the Fulmar
by the wing, shook it and stole a sizable chunk of berley!!!  I was so
stupified that I made a hopless shot with the net and missed the
Albatross!!!!

More amazingly in some ways I saw what appeared to be the same Chatham
Albatross less than 2 weeks later on the Wollongong Boat Trip!!!

A close second to the Chatham Albatross were Light-mantled Sooty-Albatross
and Grey-headed Albatross in the same frame above a samll pod of Orcas on
the June Wollongong Boat Trip....... (I still think it must have been a
dream)

Yes!  I know I should go bush-birding a bit more often......

Seasonal Salutations

Dr.P.J. Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
The Australian National University
GPO Box 334 Canberra ACT 0200  AUSTRALIA
Phone No.  <61> <2> 6249 4326
Fax No.    <61> <2> 6249 4326
E-mail Address

quotes)