birding-aus

Re: birding-aus VBR = Vic. Bird Report

Subject: Re: birding-aus VBR = Vic. Bird Report
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 20:01:48 +1100
To all good Victorians

Peter Lansley was kind enough to mention me in his posting about
the (lack of) submissions for the VBR.

Can I urge all to send him anything they think relevant, not
necessarily on the forms and without bothering too much about
the criteria.  All I did was to send him stuff I thought was
interesting (plus the first and last dates of migrants, high
numbers etc.) and records of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets (which are
always here but on the list of special birds for Victoria).

As far as I'm concerned it's up to the editors to sort things
out.  So why not just let him know about the Brahminy Kite on
your garden fence or simply - if you have the same experience as
us - a worrying decline in migratory Flame Robins.

I'm sure he'll let you know if he wants more detail.

To confess a personal interest, one of the first publications to
get me really interested in birds (rather than twitching) was
the Annual Reports on birds in the royal parks in London.  It
was not just a list of birds but also a commentary on habitat
change, climate...  When I am became actively interested and
started to contribute records it became a beaut way of
reflecting back on this year or that.

Mind you, the whole thing was facilitated by the system of local
recorders. I'm trying to do that job for the City of Bayside and
it would be great, I think, if there were local recorders who
operated, preferably with Birds Australia and local government
support, in all the local authority districts of Australia.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife
Hampton, Bayside, Vic.

quotes)